Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Procrastination: Friend or Foe?
It's not that we're lazy, it's that we buy into the lies, some call them excuses, that we tend to tell ourselves when it comes to succeeding in business and goal management.
So, how can we overcome procrastination in direct selling? First, make sure you're aware of those lies/excuses you may offer at times, and then become aware of the characteristics of procrastination, and avoid them at all cost!
Do any of the following sound familiar?
*I've got plenty of time and resources to reach my goal.
*I don't feel like it now, but I will later.
*I'm not in the mood now, I'll be more productive later.
*I've got too much going on, I can't make time for anything.
Yes, the list can continue, but I think we've all at least used one or more of these excuses, believed one or more of these lies, so I am sure it's alright if I just stop here.
How exactly can we overcome procrastination in direct selling, especially when we believe these excuses to be true for our lives at any given time?
Well, we need to push through our circumstances, always remembering why it is we chose direct sales and our company; we need to push past the fear of taking on a task that our mind it telling us will cause fear, and we need to see it as an opportunity. I can discuss the importance of vision and goal planning and overcoming fear, which is all necessary, but more importantly, if we become aware of how procrastination works to deter our vision and goal, we will be able to overcome that and push through to reach our goals.
Wikipedia defines procrastination as the practice of carrying out less urgent tasks in preference to more urgent ones, or doing more pleasurable things in place of less pleasurable ones, and thus putting off impending tasks to a later time, sometimes to the "last minute" before the deadline.
When we talk about procrastination, we are in reality, talking about hesitation. Why are we hesitant to carry out a task at hand even it is less urgent or less pleasurable? Why to we tend to put off tasks instead of managing our time, no matter how busy we may be, and taking care of what needs to be done at a manageable time, avoiding us stress, anxiety and even guilt?
If we become aware of the following 8 characteristics of hesitation or procrastination, we may be able to fight them and develop time management skills necessary to accomplish our tasks in a timely manner and with the right positive attitude needed to achieve our goals of success!
Procrastination brings the following characteristics. Once we learn to deal with them, procrastination won't have a hold of us any longer.
1. Ignorance. Ignorance lacks knowledge on how to do something. Sometimes because we don't know how to do the task at hand, it's easier to just put it off or say we can't.
2. Apathy. Apathy lacks hope, belief and the drive to get things done. Take a moment to look around at your situation and if you lack any of these, then it's time for you to get back that motivation for your business. Contact your upline or director and let them know what's going on and they will help you get your drive back!
3. Ongoing Motion. Inertia lacks time. Constant moving in a direction without a set time or planning will not necessarily get you where you need to go.
4. Boredom. Boredom lacks focus, it lacks the ability to pay attention and do the task at hand.
5. Rush Addiction. This lacks energy. It usually means we wait until the last minute to get the rush of adrenaline to get the task done. This may impact results because we did not take time to work our plan correctly.
6. Apprehension. Apprehension lacks courage. We tend to fear meeting the goals and coming out of our comfort zone. Fear is our number one enemy.
7. Vagueness. This lacks clarity. When we are vague in what we need to get done, we will not get it done. We need a specific, planned course of action in order to see results.
8. Emptiness. Disinterest lacks passion. When we lack passion we will find so many excuses that result in "this is just not for me".
The next time any one of these lies/excuses creep up in your thoughts, identify them as procrastination and tackle them by doing exactly the opposite!
Begin the road to your success by kicking this foe out of your life!
Positive thoughts turn to positive actions which becomes a way of life.
Go get it! -Michelle Perez
If you are looking for a Direct Sales Company, Scentsy Family is an amazing company with amazing leaders that are revolutionizing the market and are branching out internationally. I would LOVE to sponsor you on my team and train you and help you with your business! Please visit my website and feel free to contact me, I'd love to hear from you!
I'd LOVE to hear how this training segment helped your business!
Connect with me!
Connect with me on Facebook